- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture alternately with the milk. Mix well.
3. Pour into 10 inch Bundt pan. Bake at 325 F (165 degrees C) for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- 1 1/4cup(s) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) (light) corn syrup
- 4 teaspoon(s) milk
- red and yellow food coloring , or orange, if available, optional
- 1/3cup(s) chocolate frosting
- 1 small tube green decorating icing , optional
- edible leaf or petal sugar decorations, or molded Marzipan for garnish, optional
1. Mist two standard 12-cup Bundt cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Prepare cake mixes as package label directs for 2 Bundt cakes. Bake as directed. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto wire racks to cool completely. You can also prepare cakes one at a time using the same pan.
2. Meanwhile, prepare glaze: In a small bowl, stir confectioners’ sugar, corn syrup and 4 tsp. milk together with a fork until smooth. Blend in remaining 1 tsp. milk, if necessary, for desired consistency. If you like, use food coloring to tint glaze orange, or just leave glaze white.
3. Trim the flat side of each cake with a serrated knife so it’s even. Place one cake, rounded side down, on a serving plate. Spread chocolate frosting on top (not a thick layer, just enough to hold the two cakes together). Position second cake on top of the first, flat side down.
4. Stir glaze again and drizzle over cake.
Decorate your pumpkin how you like, the possibilities are as limitless as your imagination!