The perfect Thanksgiving should be fun from beginning to end, and this tasty, hearty breakfast is just the thing to give you plenty of energy for the day ahead. This recipe pairs oatmeal and sweet potato, along with maple syrup, cinnamon and granola, and the result is colorful and flavor-packed.
This is a breakfast which really delivers the taste of fall, and you will find the kids love it just as much as the grownups. Serve this with some chopped sweet potato on top and/or thinly sliced green apple to add more color if you wish.
Maple syrup is a nice sweetener to use but if you prefer brown sugar or agave nectar, you can use one of those instead. This is a hearty, warming breakfast, and you might find you are craving it again and again as the days get shorter and the nights become chillier. This will line your belly and keep you feeling full until lunchtime. We suggest a light lunch though, so you are hungry again when it’s time for your Thanksgiving dinner!
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 cup Butte Creek Mill Thick Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon Butte Creek Mill Flaxseed Meal (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Butte Creek Mill Maple-Pecan Granola
- Splash of milk (optional)
- Green apple slices, for garnish (optional)
- Prick holes in the sweet potato with a fork.
- Microwave it for 5 minutes or until tender.(Alternatively you can bake it or boil it, but microwaving is faster.)
- Bring the water to a boil in a pan.
- Add the oats.
- Turn the heat down to medium.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the oats
haveabsorbed most of the water, stirring often.
- While the oats are cooking, scoop the flesh out of the sweet potato and mash it.
- Stir the sweet potato into the oats.
- Stir in the maple syrup, cinnamon and Flaxseed Meal (if using).
- If the mixture is too thick, you can add a splash of milk at this point.
- Divide the hot mixture between 2 bowls and sprinkle theMaple-Pecan Granolaon top.
- You can drizzle a little maple syrup over the top if you want it sweeter, or add some apple slices.
- Serve immediately.